Tuesday, April 24, 2012

My Facebook World

I was pondering this afternoon my Facebook experience.  It's life, but condensed, compacted, all in one small screen.

Consider the friends and connections you may have on Facebook, or whatever social medium you choose.  When you send a friend request, do you really know what you're going to get?

You may "friend" someone you have known your entire life and discover that you really never knew them at all.  Or someone you've only known marginally and discover depth that you never knew was there.  You may find your closest friend from years ago and find that you no longer have anything in common, or someone whose name is vaguely familiar and find your new best friend.  Will you join them at the beginning of an exciting new life journey, or meet them in the midst of a crisis?

In the course of the last few weeks, I have seen a new relationship bud, and an old relationship crumble.  I have seen the announcements of a new pregnancy, an imminent birth, an imminent death, the fresh loss of a loved one.

I have seen friends laugh, cry, rage, and rejoice.  Struggle and triumph, beauty and tragedy, success and failure... all this flashes before my eyes on a daily basis.

Is it any wonder our society is changing so rapidly in the age of social media?  It's almost too much to absorb and react to in any meaningful way.  It's so easy to "hide" those things which are uncomfortable, or challenging, or painful, and only pay attention to what makes us laugh or smile or feel good inside.

Perhaps it's time for me to take another look at my Facebook world and consider my responsibilities within this little cosmos.  Am I salt and light, making things flavorful and bright for those who read my posts? (Matthew 5:13-16)  Am I reflecting the noble and Godly thoughts that I am supposed to focus on? (Philippians 4:8)  Am I participating in the community of believers, mindful that where two or three are gathered in Jesus' name, He is there as well? (Matthew 18:20)

Perhaps it's time to pay attention to what I see - really pay attention - and be more diligent about praying for and uplifting and encouraging and listening to the people in my Facebook world, remembering that behind every new story is another child of God.

1 comment:

  1. Our interaction in our Facebook world is only as good as our honesty with each other. What we post should reflect our inner being as children of God and that requires honesty with each other. It is easy to be and say that we are so and so but are we being honest with ourselves and others.

    ReplyDelete