Sunday, January 20, 2013

It's Not a Matter of "If"

Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him... Job 13: 15a
This phrase is what ran through my head as I drove home from the cancer center on Friday. I required a shot to boost my immune system, which I knew would be painful for days to come. I had been so excited when my oncologist said I could do without it after my last treatment; now I was deeply disappointed to have required this shot after all, and drove home knowing that my compromised immunity might very well mean that my return to teaching preschool was premature, and that this source of joy in my week may well be taken from me once again.

Now, I know this is very different from being slain, but it's a matter of choosing how I am going to respond to bad news, even when it's the worst-case scenario. And what really struck me, as I looked at this passage a little more, is that Job is not saying "if." This verse is more accurately phrased, "He will surely slay me; I have no hope..."

So, what do I do when it's not a matter of "if"? Here are the things I could insert, on my Job days:

Though [the pain is hard to bear; my strength fails; my courage slips; joy is hard to hold onto; the tears flow; sleep is hard and waking is harder; the mirror is hard to face; discouragement threatens], yet will I [hope in him; trust in him; praise him; thank him; seek him; call to him; cry to him; sing for him; work for him].

You turned my wailing into dancing;
    you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, 
 that my heart may sing your praises and not be silent.
    Lord my God, I will praise you forever. Psalm 30:11-12

How about you? How will you respond when it's not a matter of "if"?

No comments:

Post a Comment